It’s almost Halloween - my absolute favorite holiday to celebrate with all my boos. The best way to get the party started and spook up the spirits is by making freakishly delicious cocktails. To really up the creep factor, add a little dry ice into the mix! I love making a batch of Haunted Witches Brew to have on hand on Halloween night (fun for adults, and there is a kid-friendly version, too!).
But beware! This recipe calls for dry ice, which when handled incorrectly, can pose some frightening dangers. Chem 101 reminds us that dry ice is the solid form of carbon dioxide. The chemical reaction of carbon dioxide being placed into water creates a slithering fog and smoky effect that never disappoints. Because solid carbon dioxide is so cold, you need to take extra care when handling it, or you can literally get frostbite. (Holding dry ice for any longer than 10 seconds can cause a trip to the ER. SCARY!)
You can purchase dry ice from most grocery stores, like Kroger! To prepare dry ice for your cocktails, you’ll need a few tools: A flathead screwdriver, hammer and set of safety glasses. For security and insulation, line the bag of dry ice with a large towel. Gently tap on the ice until it breaks apart. (One-inch cubes are ideal).
Once you break the ice, you can start adding it into your beverages. Remember that dry ice will sublimate and disappear even when stored in a freezer. So, make sure dry ice is one of the last things on your list and buy it a few hours before your shin dig. Once you get home, break the ice into small chunks and wrap them in a towel or two.
Use tongs to transfer the dry ice cubes into the drinks before you start serving. A small cube will bubble for about five minutes before disappearing. Of course, because dry ice is so cold, it is ideal for chilling drinks as well as making an eerie effect.
We are super excited about our new ghoulish glasses with skulls and spiderwebs and all of the playful Halloween plates, napkins, and table décor.
Happy Haunting Houston!
CAUTION: your guests not to drink the dry ice cubes. This should be easy to avoid, since dry ice sinks and stays at the bottom of glasses.